Sarah,

There is only one Shared Resources directory. By doing this, you can save
a lot of disk space. If you install multiple products and they all have
plugin A at version 1, then only one plugin A at version 1 will be on your
hard drive in the Shared Resources directory instead of one copy for each
product. For example, WDSC and RDi are both based on Eclipse 3.2.2. So,
the Eclipse plugins are the same and are only installed once.

For package groups, this is your choice as to which products you want to
have work together. If you put multiple products in a package group, then
when the IDE starts all the functionality will be there. If you put them
in separate package groups, they will be in separate IDEs. In 7.1, if you
install RBD and RDi products in the same package group,then that IDE will
have RSE, EGL, and Web tools. In order to install the WebFacing features
of HATS 7.1, it has to install into a package group which has RDi and
either RBD, RAD, RSA, or WID.

I have heard of users using multiple package groups with WDSC. They
install the full WDSC in one package group and then they install WDSC again
but with only the RSE in a different package group. When just doing RPG
work, they start the one with only RSE (it loads faster) but when doing web
and RPG they load the full version.

There are certain cases where some products do not allow being installed in
the same package group. This is usually due to incompatible plugin
versions (product A needs plugin X at version 1 but product B needs plugin
X at version 2). This can also happen with fixpacks.

Eric Simpson
Rational Developer for System i and Rational HATS
IBM Toronto Lab
905-413-3226 (T/L 313)
esimpson@xxxxxxxxxx

"Sarah Poger
Gladstone"
<listmember@glads To
tone.info> "Websphere Development Studio
Sent by: Client for iSeries"
wdsci-l-bounces@m <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
idrange.com cc

Subject
04/16/2008 11:50 Re: [WDSCI-L] Install RDI 7.1 and
PM WDSC 7.0 on same system?

Please respond to
Websphere
Development
Studio Client for
iSeries
<wdsci-l@midrange
.com>

Eric- I thought if I choose a new "package" during an IBM Installation
Manager install, then I would get a different "Shared Resources"
directory. What is the purpose of creating different "package
groups?

Thanks,
Sarah