From: "Joe Pluta" <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "'Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries'" <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2007 9:18 AM
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Compiling

From: Dave Shaw

Mark,

It isn't WDSCi that controls where the event file is placed. It's the
compiler that does it. Here's the V5R4 help text for OPTION(*EVENTF) from
CRTBNDRPG:

(...SNIP...)

Unfortunately, I can't find any comparable information on how the Search
function decides where to put the event file. Maybe it does use the
*CURLIB - I can't be sure. Anyone else know?

I think the compiler works okay. I haven't run into an issue there in some
time, because the event file is a multi-member file based on program name in
the library, so collisions should be avoided.

It's the FNDSTRPDM which uses EVENTF in *CURLIB, and that's where the
problems seem to crop up.

As it stands right now, I think changing this would be difficult for IBM
to justify, since it would probably involve coordination with 3 different
teams (WDSCi, compilers - which involves several sub-teams, and PDM), and
it WOULD break support for CODE, which is still in widespread use but
isn't likely to be updated for something like this. Would the gain be
worth the cost?

Does CODE use FNDSTRPDM? The only interface for WDSC would be the *EVENTF
parameter on the FNDSTRPDM, and if CODE doesn't use it, then the only one
that uses it would be WDSC.

I think it's something that could be VERY easily fixed, at least for
FNDSTRPDM. You could pass a second parameter, and that would signal using a
keyed file (or even a membered file) instead of the standard flat file.