Thanks to all for your helpful responses.

Sorry about the multi send I had a bad subject line and also got
a response about a email not being send, then I realised it was only
for a particular recipient, not midrange.

from: "Wilt, Charles" <WiltC@xxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] WDSC vs SEU
Debug is magic, but I cannot use it for old OPM programs.
So I have converted the RPG source to RPGLE and this was
not a trivial exercise.

Having said that about Debug I did need to change my User
Profile to have *SERVICE rights to be able to debug other
profiles, but I believe this is fixed on V5R4 OS400.
(This is the sort of tip I would like on the Wiki)

Charles,
How can I use WDSCi to debug OPM programs, including CLP,
I would like to be able to do this, please.

Jon

re Issue with RPGLE conversion.
This was done a few years ago so I may not recall exactly.
The problem I had with the RPGLE conversion, concerned BPCS AS/SET
generated programs. When we upgraded AS/SET to V8 (generates RPGLE
and DDS source), I decided to convert the in-house RPGIII to RPG IV.
AS/SET had certain defaults for the display files DFTWRT and RSTDSP
that we had to set both to *YES else the displays did not work
properly. The DBCS function for balancing the SO SI chars in
input fields also had some issue, I cannot recall exactly.

I would add that mostly the RPGIII to RPGIV conversion went very
well. The rework needed was mostly recompilation to set up the
proper parameters for the Display files and DBCS checks. This
was resolved in the first couple of hours after cutover.

Having said that the checkout of ALL the source , conversion,
recompilation and testing of the entire system to confirm that
all was working took a week to do, and involved the entire
organisation, so it was not a project taken on lightly.
We use MKS implementer and backing out the OLD source and
replacing with the NEW although not hard, needed some planning.
(same object name, different object type, but in same source file)
The main justification for doing this task was that we had
a mix of RPGIII RPGIV RPGLE(modules etc) and this mix was
causing issues. Activation groups and overrides come to mind.
Coding standards and Modifications were becoming complex and
going to RPGLE would solve many of these issues.

Thanks everyone for the tips on CLP to CLLE conversion.
Yes we do have a mix of DFTACTGRP (*YES) and (*NO) but I am
fairly sure that mostly the OVR's used have scope (*JOB), so
I will plan for a CL/CLLE conversion. I think that I may
do this a bit at a time as I dont think I can justify
another major conversion and testing project.

Bill,
Assuming the defaults haven't been changed, if you convert RPG III to
RPG IV using CVTRPGSRC, convert
CLP to CLLE and continue to use CRTBNDxxx (PDM option 14-Compile).
Then both the CLLE and the RPGLE programs will be created with
DFTACTGRP(*YES) and will continue to
work like OPM programs.

These conversions are indeed trivial.

Things become not trivial, once you specify DFTACTGRP(*NO) in any of the
programs in the job stream.
Before doing so, you need to understand activation groups.

While OVRSCOPE(*JOB) may fix problems, it is IMHO not usually the
"correct" answer. OVRSCOPE(*JOB) is
sometimes needed, but more often it is used as a brute force fix by
those who don't understand
activation groups.
date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:32:39 -0400
from: Jon Paris <Jon.Paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>