Just a thought, but could the session be timing out?

-----Original Message-----
From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mike Hockings
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2007 3:19 PM
To: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] WebFacing and dying IE sessions

Hi Heinz,

I can't say that I have heard of this sort of symptom before. In cases that I know of where IE did run out of memory it give a clear error about it. You can look at the memory usage by IE with the Windows Task Manager.

What exactly is meant by the technical expression "the current browser session just vanishes"? Do you mean that the browser window closed or do you mean that the app ended and returned to the referrer page?

Have you looked at the user joblogs for the failed runs to see if there is anything significant there at the time?

Is there any fancy customization or similarity between the pages that are being presented that are causing a problem? The browser cache setting is "automatic" ?

Mike

Mike Hockings, P.Eng.
System i Application Development Tools - CODE/Designer & WebFacing !
IBM Canada Ltd. Laboratory
hockings@xxxxxxxxxx
voice 905 413 3199

<Heinz.Sporn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wdsci-l-bounces+hockings=ca.ibm.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
09/27/2007 03:11 AM
Please respond to
Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

<WDSCI-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[WDSCI-L] WebFacing and dying IE sessions

Hi list!

It's WDSC 6 (with all current updates), WAS 6.0.2 (with all current
updates) on Windows 2003 servers and i5/OS V5R4. Clients use Windows 2000
Pro and Windows XP with Internet Explorer 6 with varying patch levels.

Our problem:

Intermittent dying WebFacing sessions on the client side. It looks like
this: people work in our applications as intended. They press enter or a
function key and every now and then the current browser session just
vanishes and they fall back to our portal site where they originally
launched the WebFacing application.

Result: the session zombies on the iSeries

- issues are not reproducable
- there are no JS errors in IE
- there's no specific webfaced dialog where people just drop out - it's
totally random
- sometimes people lose sessions 3-5 times a day, sometimes they work a
week without fuss
- it's not an inactivity time-out issue because we cover that in a client
script
- it's not a connectivity issue because people are able to continue
working in a parallel opened session
- sometimes it takes 5 minutes until the drop out, sometimes they work
literally hours continuosly

Questions:

1. Has anyone similar issues?
2. Even a simple webfaced page easly has 6.500 lines of code (with all JS
includes). Is it possible that IE 6 might get overloaded over time? Like
is getting issues with garbage collection, memory allocation or memroy
leaks?
3. Has anyone an idea how to trace that issue?
4. Is anyone having suggestions to maybe make the resulting WebFace
slimmer?

I'd apprechiate ANY help!

Kind regards

Heinz