From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Don Yantzi
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2007 1:28 PM
To: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Single Signon via EIM - hosts file explained

The RSE adds those lines to the hosts file whenever you launch one of
the
CODE tools from the RSE. If you don't use the CODE tools (or at
leasts
don't launch them from the RSE) then it will never touch the hosts
file.

Now for the explanation why it does this. CODE only allows a single
connection to the same host name, and connection names are limited to
8
characters, while the RSE allows multiple connections to the same host
and
arbitrarily long connection names (with spaces and other characters
that
are not valid in a CODE connection name). Both RSE and CODE allow
additional libraries to be specified for the library list. So when
bridging from the RSE to CODE we needed a one-to-one mapping in order
carry over the library list settings (and therefore for compiles to
work
properly from CODE).

So the RSE takes the connection names, removes any characters that are
not
valid in a CODE connection name, then takes the last 6 characters and
prepends R# in order to make it unique (where # is a digit that makes
it
unique if it collides with an existing entry in the hosts table). And
then registers that with CODE as the server and adds the hosts entry
map it to the correct IP address and viola CODE can have multiple
connections to the same server. It's not a pretty solution but it
works
(in most cases).

I have opened a defect to a) change the message to say generated by
the
RSE not Eclipse, and b) add the middle entry with the hostname
originally
specified for the RSE connection.

Thanks.

Don Yantzi
Technical Lead
WebSphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
IBM Toronto Lab

"Dean, Robert" <rdean@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
08/30/2007 11:17 AM
Please respond to
Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

"Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries"
<wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [WDSCI-L] Single Signon via EIM

That last part may not be clear....

The reason it works is that putting "real.host.name" first on the line
will make sure that Windows will return "real.host.name" when doing an
nslookup on 192.168.0.1, without disabling CODE's ability to translate
R0TARCOM to 192.168.0.1.