Cheri, thank you so much for the straight forward explanation. This has
really helped tremendously.

Last question... I'm currently using WDSCi V 6.0. and I've tried both HATS
and Webfacing on our Development Box. Our current application has some
system screens built into it that can't be WebFaced. I would like to try
out the combined product (WDHT). As a developer is there WDHT client for
iSeries that I need to get or is there simply an add-on or something for
WDSCi??

John.

"Cheri Duchrow" <cduchrow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
06/15/2007 12:54 PM
Please respond to
Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [WDSCI-L] What exactly needs to be installed and started on the
iSeries for Webfacing and HATS.

John

Ok, I see, the actual transformation is done within the Web application,
not on the iSeries. Thank you.

Ok, the way I understand it is for WebFacing you have to have 3
components
running.
1. A Web Server (doesn't have to be on the iSeries)
2. An HTTP Server (doesn't have to be on the iSeries)
3. WebFacing Server (Only piece that has to be running on the iSeries)

It would seem then that if you want to use WDHT then you actual iSeries
part is the same as for WebFacing by itself without HATS.

One last question.
What exactly do I need to get for WDHT?

Pete did a good job of explaining why you don't need anything on the
iSeries
for HATS and from your response it looks like you are understanding it.
There is a java jar file that is part of a HATS application that does all
of
the work.

WDHT is actually the new name for HATS. History is you used to have to
buy
a separate license for HATS and WebFacing you needed no license. Then
they
came up with WDHT to start to merge the 2 together someone. Development
wise you still have 2 WDSc perspectives. WebFacing applications no longer

take up interactive cycles and haven't even in the non-liscensed version.
However they could not transform screens on the fly. Once you get a WDHT
license then when you WebFace and application you no longer need to
convert
each and every screen in a WebFaced project. If you forget one or choose
not to include one in the WebFaced project the HATS type of technology
will
take over and transform it on the fly. Or in the case of system screens
or
third-party app screens these can now be included in the WebFaced
application. For prior and new HATS applications it is now covered under
WDHT and if you are on V5R3 or higher and have certain PTF's applied(sorry
don't have the list handy right now) then your HATS applications will no
longer take up interactive cycles.

The reasons for why to use one verses the other now depends. Before more
people tried out webfacing because if they liscensed their RPG
compile(Websphere Studio etc) the had webfacing and could now run these
application without a license. But that is changed and once V5R4 is no
longer supported and you upgrade to the next release of the operating
system
you will need a license for your Webfaced applications. The best thing is

to take you application and see how good HATS transforms your screens. I
have seen some apps that have alot of popup windows have trouble being
transformed with HATs and you end up doing alot of work. But you can
check
this out by creating a HATS app and not doing alot and going to your
screens
to assess the situation.
WebFacing you need the source and there are some differences here and
there.
The look a how a screen gets transformed in a WebFacing application that
is
not included in your WebFaced app where the WDHT takes over....although it

says it matches your WebFace applications look and feel is not alway
true.... you have to look at it for yourself and make the decision. This
technology is evolving and I am sure it will get better. The good news is

that you have the capability to look at it and preview it because you have
2
licenses in the development WDSc tool to you can run these and get an idea

of how things will look and how much work you will have to do for
customization.

HTH
Cheri