From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Mike Burdette
Sent: Fri 5/25/2007 4:44 PM
To: wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx; java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [WDSCI-L] Running web apps with J2SE 5 in WAS v6.1 ....

Hi all:

We have a vendor API which requires Java 5, J2SE 5, to run. This has
raised two issues for us:

1.) We are currently running WAS Express 5.1 on V5R3M0. This version will
not run Java 5 web apps, but from what I have read
(http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v6r1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.websphere.express.iseries.doc/info/iseriesexp/ae/covr_j2ee.html

, see link at bottom, "Migrating to Java 2SE 5"), it seems WAS 6 can run a
Java 5 web app. Has anyone had any experience/luck with this? Is anyone
out there using WAS Express to run Java 5 web apps?

2.) We are unable to develop Java 5 applications in WDSC 5.1 or WDSC 6. I
was told, through this list, that the solution is to go to WDSC V7. We do
not have V7, and have been told we have no plans to order it. I have set
up a quick and dirty development environment using eclipse/tomcat with the
Sysdio plugin. Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks

Mike