Gerald,

Please give more details about the variable you want to change. Is it
an element of an array ?

For your other question, the Variables view automatically shows all
local variables in current call stack of your program execution. For ILE
RPG and ILE COBOL, it is available since V5R3. A known issue is when you
are in a subroutine of a ILE RPG main procedure, debugger can not get
local variable information and Variables view will be empty.

If you are only interested in specific variables, you can add them in
Monitors view. The variables added in Monitors view may become out of
scope depending on how they are used in your program. For scalar variable,
an additional feature is hover help, ie, you can hover over the variable in
editor to quickly check up the value.

Variables view has some performance impact if you have a large set of
local variables defined. If this is case, you can choose to use Monitors
view only by closing Variables view so that debugger will not try to
evaluate local variables.

Thanks,

Li Ding
System i AD, IBM Toronto Lab
Email: lding@xxxxxxxxxx
Phone: (905) 413-4393, T/L: 969-4393, Fax: (905) 413-4850
Internal Mail Address:D1/YFY/8200/MKM

GKern@toledoclini
c.com
Sent by: To
wdsci-l-bounces@m wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
idrange.com cc

Subject
05/23/2007 11:12 [WDSCI-L] Incorrectly Formed Range
AM Expression

Please respond to
Websphere
Development
Studio Client for
iSeries
<wdsci-l@midrange
.com>

While debugging via SEP, when I try to modify a variable during the debug
process, in the Monitor view, I can double click of the field and a window
allows me (sometimes) to change the value of the variable. Sometimes I get
the error message 'Incorrectly formed range expression'. This is
inconsistent in it's behavior. Today all I want to do is remove a leading
blank but it won't let me.... Frustrating.

This used to happen quite often in V6 and I haven't expereinced in V7
until today.

Am I doing something wrong?

And a related question - what is the difference in the Monitor vs. the
Variables view? I only use SEP for RPG and sometimes I see variables in
the variables view and other times not - but was never able to ID what
triggers their presence in the variables view.

Thanks!

Regards, Jerry

Gerald Kern - MIS Project Leader
Lotus Notes/Domino Administrator
IBM Certified RPG IV Developer
The Toledo Clinic, Inc.
4235 Secor Road
Toledo, OH 43623-4299
Phone 419-479-5535
gkern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

information. Any unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the
sender by reply e-mail and destroy this and all copies of this message.
--
This is the Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries (WDSCI-L)