From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Buck
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2007 3:43 PM
To: wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] George Farrdeclaresfeaturespecificpricingonhorizonfor
WDSC

CGIDEV2 is far from what other development
environments have for a framework
to build web apps on.
Most of the RPG community
don't even know what they are missing
or what IBM could do if they chose to
really take RPG to the next level.

I agree that it would be a wonderful thing if RPG could somehow be as
natively 'webby' as Java.  But our market doesn't adopt a new technology
(Smalltalk, San Francisco [1]) because IBM pushes it, or because we read
about it in the news.  Our market is at the tail end of the adoption curve.
We will get into e-business well after the big players are already there.
We generally work with older, simpler tool sets long after everyone else has
moved on.

Unbundling and charging extra for the things we need today in order to
subsidise the development of the bits we may need in the future is like
having to work overtime to train your own replacement.

[1] http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/sj/373/rubin.html