Bob Cozzi wrote:
Certainly IBM is more like GM in structure than it is like Microsoft or Adobe.
But GM hasn't changed its divisions brand identity for nearly a century. They
may have attempted to introduce new brands and retire old ones, but I  can't
really remember if they actually ever succeeded in doing so.

Randall Munson had an opinion piece in SystemiNetwork (or whatever it's called today .-) ) within the last few months using this very same analogy, Bob. The worse re-branding in Randall's opinion was changing OS/400 to i5/OS because (a) it skewed or obliterated the recognition of the system's most distinguishing feature - it's operating system, and (b) with 'i5' tied the operating system name to the chip set rather than the system itself.

Automobile's undergo evolutionary changes, of course. The original Ford T-Bird was a roadster. The lady that lives next door to me has a T-Bird (and my mother owned one about 15 years ago) but it definitely is not a roadster. But there is brand and product recognition throughout it's history. Randall made the point that GM wouldn't change the name of the Corvette to something generic - how stupid would that be?!

        * Jerry C. Adams
*IBM System i5/iSeries Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
        615.995.7024
fax