Joe,

That's exactly what I did at home to try to educate myself on VMWare;
still a work in progress. I recently purchased two machines, loaded them up
with sufficient RAM and Disk and now have openSUSE 10.2 as the host OS on
one and Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition as the host OS on the other.
I've created various combinations of Windows and Linux VMs and have
been surprised at the computing environment that can be achieved with a
total out-of-pocket expense of approximately $1200. I'm discounting my time
since it's intended to be a learning experience.

I am firmly in the System i camp but if you're targeting the low end of the
SMB market, a combination of robust commodity hardware, Linux, and VMWare
along with quality open source development tools, frameworks, and databases,
etc. is hard to beat. At this level it doesn't have to be perfect... just
good enough ;).

Kind regards,

Brian

On 3/13/07, Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Brian
>
> We have four IXA attached xSeries servers on our 520+ with each running
> Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition as the host OS for VMWare Server.
> Each physical server is running multiple VMs without any problems. The
> licensing for Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition allows you to run
up
> four virtual servers on one physical server without any additional
> licensing
> expense. I'm thinking you could leave your host OS (and WDSC V6) in
64-bit
> mode and create a VM instance running in 32-bit mode to accommodate WDSC

> V7 without much difficulty.

More and more it looks like I just need to sit down and get comfortable
with
VMWare.  I bought the server to do just this level of computing, so I
should
start playing.  It's also a great environment for messing around with
Linux,
especially since I can completely smoke the configuration and easily go
back
to a previous version <grin>.

Joe