Aaron,

Joe stated he is using Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition. Microsoft's
licensing for this OS allows one to run up to four virtual instances on one
physical server at no additional cost so I think he could have the host
instance of the OS running in 64-bit mode with a VM running an instance in
32-bit mode which would allow him to get around his problem. Since VMWare
Server in now a free download he would not incur any additional
out-of-pocket expense.

The licensing for a Windows desktop OS like XP Pro is different and in
addition, you cannot create a VM for a Windows desktop OS using the free
VMWare Server; It can host the VM but it cannot create it. To create a VM
for a Windows desktop OS you will need to purchase one of the
non-free VMWare products like VMWare Workstation. Although you may incure
some additional out-of-pocket expense, a copy of VMWare Workstation and an
OEM copy of XP Pro doesn't cost very much and so you just have to ask how
much is it worth not to have to worry about committing a FUBAR on your
production instance of WDSC.

For licensing of Microsoft's OSs, development products and desktop
productivity products, I think you might qualify for one of the ISV programs
which will give you multiple licenses of all these products for only a few
hundred bucks a year.

Kind regards,

BJ