I am running WDSC Version: 6.0.1 Build id: 20050725_1800 on a 2.8 MHz processor with 2gig of memory. It generally runs Ok. [Upgrading from 1gig of memory to 2 last year really helped with speed of loading]

I use LPEX for much of my editing, but when I really need power, I have Kedit (www.kedit.com) setup as an External Tool. (It's like having a Porsche when you've been riding a bicycle.)

However, since I upgraded WDSC to 6.0.1 from 6.0.0.1, occasionally LPEX will totally trash* a file which is on "open" (not changed, but on a tab of one of the files I am perusing at the time) when I launch this external editor.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues?

Any hints on how to prevent this?

Setup for Kedit as an External Tool.
Location:C:\Keditw\keditw32.exe
Working Directory: ${project_loc:}
Arguments: ${resource_loc}

I'm taking the approach "just don't do that" as I've found little to no information at all on how external tools are launched, or in environmental differences between Eclipse and WDSC. I may just do some more work to set Kedit up as a thin version of WDSC and then forgo WDSC altogether.

*trash

1) Once LPEX/WDSC copied all of a DDS I had as the foremost tab when I launched Kedit, into an RPG program which was the file-tab I had viewed just before this DDS. I erased the DDS lines from the RPG program (using LPEX) and went my merry way.

2) Twice it has simply replaced a file under one tab with a file from another tab. I wasn't so merry about this.

These corrupt files are immediately saved and uploaded to my i, I have not been able to limit the damage to local copies.

After editing, upon return to WDSC, it notices the file is changed, asks me "Do I want to reload" and I say yes. I then have to make a small mod in LPEX so that the i-portion of WDSC recognizes that the file has changed and that it needs to be sent to my system i, and off I go.

I have used Eclipse for years with this external tool setup, and WDSC's behavior in noticing the file was changed by the external tool is identical to Eclipse's. Eclipse has never trashed a file like this though.

Turn searches into helpful donations. Make your search count. http://click4thecause.live.com/search/charity/default.aspx?source=hmemtagline_donation&FORM=WLMTAG