Hi Joe,

Just a word of caution when using ghost images.  When you install WDSC, it
creates a default instance of the WAS 6.1 test server.  The config files
for the test server are created with the hostname of the PC where the
install was done.  When the ghost image is then copied to each PC, the
config files contains an incorrect hostname and the test server won't
start (we always run into this at COMMON and the System i Technical
conferences).

You can fix this in one of two ways:

1.  Double click on the test server and switch from using RMI to SOAP for
the communications.  You could do this on the ghost image then it would be
set on each copy, although I have never tried this.

2.  After the images are installed, edit the file that contains the
hostname and update it with the correct hostname (including domain name)
for that PC.  The file you need to edit is something like:

C:\Program
Files\IBM\Rational\SDP\6.0\runtimes\base_v6\profiles\default\config\cells\YANTZ1Node01Cell\nodes\YANTZ1Node01\serverindex.xml

You need to update all the hostname and host XML attributes that reference
the hostname of the original PC.

Don Yantzi
Technical Lead
WebSphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
IBM Toronto Lab

"Joe Pluta" <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
02/01/2007 09:03 AM
Please respond to
Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

"'Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries'" <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [WDSCI-L] installing v6

From: David Foxwell

This is deadly serious.
It is incredible the number of threads concerning installation problems.

I've talked to people who have done dozens of installs over the last six
months.  We just created yet another ghost image for our upcoming
technical
conference.  Basically, our lab coordinator installed from disk and then
told it to update itself overnight.  The next morning he looked at it and
it
was done.

Although it's certainly not 100% bulletproof, I've looked at the list and
sense that the product is getting more stable with every release, rather
than less stable.  I'm not sure what Joel's issues are; but as Joel
states,
there's not a lot of information there, just that it was "impossible to
install".

Anyway, you might consider downloading all the patches ahead of time. This
will make it a bit quicker to apply the upgrades to multiple machines; you
won't have to download multiple gigabytes for each machine.  It is a tiny
bit more complicated, but IBM has been pretty good about documenting the
process.

Joe