From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of GKern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: January 23, 2007 4:10 PM
To: wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [WDSCI-L] Proper was to end debug with SEP

Last week I submitted a post targeted to the developers. It started out
with the following:

While debugging an RPGLE program (using SEP), if I get to a point in my
program where I want to terminate the RPG, I use sys-req(2) to cancel
the job and then click on the red terminate button in the Debug view.
Then when I try to edit the RPG in RSE, I get a window that pops up
saying "Unable to create part".

Today, twice, I've had to reboot my pc to enable using the SEP debugger
effectively. In both instances I'm debugging a decimal data error or a
start position out of range error, and it seems that after the first
time the error occurs, and I get the error on my green screen where the
program is running, after I respond to dump or cancel, I terminate the
debug session. I then try to restart the debug session, however when I
restart the RPG program, to run it through the debugger again to get a
better idea of what is happening, the debugger doesn't initialize itself
correctly (meaning it doesn't start at the first executable statement in
the program). The program justs runs until the error occurs and the
debugger never kicks in. I didn't change anything regarding the SEP, and
didn't recompile the program either. Other than a reboot I can't figure
out how to 're-initialize' the debug session. I even try by removing the
SEP and then readding it, but the same problem persists.

So my question is, is there any preferred method of terminating a debug
session when an error occurs? Should the SEP session be ended before the
program? Or should the program end before the debugger? Does it make a
difference?

The other weird behavior is that after terminating the debug session
(using a custom debug perspective), all the view tabs used by debug show
up in my RSE perspective. It's very confused :(

PS - This is the full WDSCi with all current patches and updates.

Regards, Jerry

Gerald Kern - MIS Project Leader
Lotus Notes/Domino Administrator
IBM Certified RPG IV Developer
The Toledo Clinic, Inc.
4235 Secor Road
Toledo, OH 43623-4299
Phone 419-479-5535
gkern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of
information. Any unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the
sender by reply e-mail and destroy this and all copies of this message.