Dude relax, I was just asking because someone make this statement to me.
:)

-----Original Message-----
From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 3:11 PM
To: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] When is SEU going away?

Hello,

I was just wondering if there are firm plans to no longer support
SEU/PDM at any point in the future?

IBM still supports S/36 environment, including RPG II.  But you want
them
to discontinue SEU? IBM still supports the ancient /QDLS filesystem, but

you want them to discontinue SEU? IBM still supports program-described
physical and logical files.  But you want them to discontinue SEU?

I have a LOT of problems with the notion of discontinuing SEU.  SEU has
lot of advantages!

a) Because it runs on the system i, I can use it from anywhere without
having to spend the better part of a day installing software first!

I often have to fix problems from home.  Or from a friend's house when
I'm
there playing cards and something goes wrong with the system at night.
Or
from a hotel computer on the road.  Or... or... or...   the list just
goes
on and on. I don't always have the luxury of telling the computer owner
have a new, high-speed PC available for me.  I certainly don't have the
luxury (or time) of installing a 5gb software product on every computer!

b) Because it runs on the system i, it doesn't ram Windows down my
throat.

This is a BIG one for me.  Very big.  My primary desktop environment
where
I do the majority of my work is a FreeBSD system. Who the heck is IBM to

tell me that I MUST run Windows?  I didn't buy a System i because I
wanted
to use a Windows desktop!

I bought a System i because I like the System i, not because I like
Windows!

It should be up to ME to choose my desktop environment.  No other vendor

tries to ram Windows down my throat, not even Microsoft.  Why would IBM
do
it?  Why would would IBM want to?

I can run SEU from FreeBSD.  Or Linux.  Or Mac.  Or whatever I want to,
because it runs on the System i: a platform that I choose to run.  Not
Windows: I platform that I choose not to run.

c) Because SEU is fast.

It may be simpler, and less feature-rich, than WDSC, but it's very
quick.
It takes me a blink of an eye to start up the editor and make changes.
Yes, there are times when I plan to work with code for hours, and the 5
minute startup time of WDSC is worth the wait.

But in the middle of the night when I need to change 3 characters to get

production working, I don't want to wait 5 minutes.

When I'm leaving for the day, and say "oh yeah, duh..." and have to make

one quick change, I don't want to wait 5 minutes to re-start WDSC.

d) Because SEU is stable.

Last year I forced all of the programmers in my shop to use WDSC (5.1.2)

exclusively for 1 month.  They all learned WDSC.  They all got used to
it.
They all complained about it crashing, every one of them.  Also
complained
about weird problems with source not synching up between the PC and the
System i. Every developer in my shop (that's 4 people) complained about
these problems separately and at different times.

I've received 6.0 and am working on upgrading our systems, I sure hope
it's better.  But for now, we need SEU to verify that WDSC worked!

e) Because it would alienate a very large percentage of the community.

The surveys that I've seen (System iNetwork has does research into what
it's readers are doing in their shops) indicate that nearly 80% of the
developer community is still using SEU.  Granted, there's a very high
percentage of developers who are interested in learning about WDSC, but
only a small percentage have migrated.  (Though, granted, the remaining
20% are extremely vocal about how wonderful WDSC is!)

To simply pull the carpet out from under everyone would be bad.

If you like this sort of "we have something new, you can't use the old
one
anymore" type of business practice, I suggest you stick to Microsoft
tools. They do this sort of thing all the time. You'll love it.