Tom

Yes, I understood, you were explaining a workaround, not suggesting  this
as a standard policy.

We programmers don't usually work in the perfect environments, and
sometimes need to bend to the will of those who establish the ground
rules.

Each organization has its different rules/regs etc.

Thanks for your concern.

Darrell Lee
Information Technology

qsrvbas@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
10/27/2006 03:49 PM
Please respond to
Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [WDSCI-L] Protect programs in certain library's

DLee wrote:
   7. Re: Protect programs in certain library's (DLee)

That makes sense to me. I do have *allobj authority thru the group I
belong to.

I'll see about changing that.  good advice from where I sit.

Darrell:

The following is _not_ recommended as a standard practice. It is simply
a procedural safeguard to assist temporarily until a solid scheme is put
in place.

Because you receive *ALLOBJ from a group profile, you can still give
yourself a degree of protection. Simply grant yourself *USE (or whatever
the limit should be, including *EXCLUDE) authority to the files in
question and most normal activity should be safer. That's because
'private' authority is checked first. 'Group' authority is checked when
no private authority is available. (It can be more complex than that,
but this is just a safeguard.)

When the system finds your explicit private authority, it stops looking.

Once again, this is _not_ intended to be permanent. It can be
circumvented easily. But circumvention _generally_ requires a deliberate
action, and that helps it to be a procedural safeguard.

Tom Liotta