I hope you have better luck than I did!  Been trying to setup the
Extender for two weeks now.  There's a Fixpack in IBM that includes DB2
XML Extender administration wizard product in it. That's the only PC
piece that I have found so far. I installed it but have not been able to
connect to my Iseries yet, funny I get the same error message as you. Of
course, I have no clue what I am doing, just had an XML project assigned
ot me. I have received two emails from IBM suport pointing me to a
couple of manuals to read. I have included them at the bottom of this
email, it took me three days to get this information. I've read so many
manuals that I think I'm a tree at this point. If anyone has a  CHEAT
SHEET please send it to me.

I am researching other methods & resources, I figure if it is this hard
to setup it probably will be harder to use. DB2 Viper 9.1 is available
and looks pretty awesome, stores XML and DB2 in the same database. Still
checking it out so don't quote me on that. Justsystems an IBM partner
has already developed a product with Viper being the driving force. I am
currently downloading a trial version of it. I'm hoping for a real voice
if I need support help.

1)email
Since you are new to the XML Extender , I would recomend reading chapter
1 of the followig book:
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=pub1sc18917900

You do NOT want to use the GUI.

2)email

Debra , you don't need to change the CCSID for the system , if you don't
want to, you can just change the ID for the user or the job.

The CCSID can be changed to fit your OS/400 environment needs by using
the following commands. (You only need to do one of the commands below)

CHGSYSVAL SYSVAL(QCCSID) VALUE(37)

CHGUSRPRF USRPRF(XXXXX) CCSID(37)

CHGJOB CCSID(37)

CHGJOBD JOBD(XXXX/XXXX) USER(XXXX) where USER=USRPRF with CCSID 37.