From: Trevor Perry

Either way, it is another "language" to add to the confusion. It is not
yet
a mature language, and has little in the way of redbooks or training.
While
it is free today, be careful about your investment in something "free" -
especially if IBM needs to make some money of those who thought it was
free.

Wow.  That's pretty harsh Trevor.  Based on that particular line of
reasoning, we should drop WDSC altogether, because IBM might want to start
charging for it.

I would be wary of investing heavily in something that IBM is still unsure
about. It seems like Joe has found it a great web-screen-design tool. And
while I support the "right tool for the right job" approach, I wonder if
even Joe will keep using it if it cost him money...

I've already had this discussion with anonymous folks (and I plan to bend
some more ears).  My position is pretty simple: If IBM needs to make money
from i5 customers for Rational products, then what they should do is bundle
a reasonable number of WDSC licenses into 5722WDS.  The number would be
based on the processor tier; it's probably realistic to say that someone
with a P05 doesn't need 150 WDSC developer licenses.  Offer an option to buy
additional licenses as needed at a reasonable licensing fee, and the whole
issue is moot.

The WRONG way to do this is to either unbundled EGL (or any features) from
WDSC, or worse yet, unbundled WDSC from the i5.  Either one is the surest
way to kill the product from an i5 point of view.  And what use is WDSC
without the i5 community?

Joe