Thanks for the reply Kushal!

The ermote shell view did come up.  It said "command shell running", - for
about 30 seconds, then "Command shell finished", and then in the field
below (still in the command shell tab) - it said "Parameters host inPort
OutPort errPort pwd cmd".

I went ahead and ran the Verify Connection from the IFS subsystem and -
yes it looks like I'm missing some PTF's...

Connection to Central service . . . . . . . . . . . . .successful
Connection to Command service . . . . . . . . . . . . .successful
Connection to Data Queue service . . . . . . . . . .successful
Connection to File service . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .successful
Connection to Record Access service . . . . . . .successful
Connection to Signon service . . . . . . . . . . . . . .successful
Checking PTFs
        WDSC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . PTF missing
                Remote System Explorer . . PTF missing
                        Product 5722WDS found
                                Option 60 found
                                        Required PTF SI18443 is missing
                                        PTF SI14087 successful
                                        PTF SI10107 successful
                                        PTF SI08594 successful
                                        PTF SI08580 successful
                                        PTF SI08194 successful
                                        PTF SI12950 successful
                iSeries Web Tooling . . . successful
                        Product 5722SS1 found
                                PTF SI18211 successful
                iSeries Java Tooling . . successful
                WebFacing . . . . . . . . . . . . . PTF missing
                        Product 5722SS1 found
                                PTF SI14729 successful
                                PTF SI18230 successful
                                PTF SI17358 successful
                                PTF SI07018 successful
                                PTF SI14877 successful
                                PTF SI12942 successful
                                PTF SI13004 successful
                                PTF SI13060 successful
                                PTF SI09459 successful
                                PTF SI17013 successful
                                PTF SI16216 successful
                                Required PTF SI19120 is missing
                                Required PTF SI20675 is missing
                                Required PTF SI20712 is missing
                                Required PTF SI20521 is missing
                        Product 5722WDS found
                                PTF SI07526 successful
                iSeries Integrated Debugger . . PTF missing
                        Product 5722SS1 found
                                PTF SI08512 successful
                                PTF SI05304 successful
                                PTF SI17853 successful
                                PTF SI18709 successful
                                PTF SI19010 successful
                                Required PTF SI20699 is missing
                                Required PTF SI22840 is missing
                        Product 5722999 found
                                PTF MF30131 successful
                iSeries Integrated Debugger - Advanced Edition only . .
successful
                iSeries Remote Control Access . . successful
                        Product 5722SS1 found
                                PTF SI08018 successful
Checking host callbacks
        Checking callback to debug daemon
                Host PTF missing.  The requested function is not
available.
        Checking callback to RSE daemon
                Host PTF missing.  The requested function is not
available.

Jeff Stevens
Mize, Houser & Co. P.A.
913 451 1882
JStevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kushal Munir <kmunir@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
08/16/2006 10:37 PM
Please respond to
Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [WDSCI-L] Compile Java - Where does .class file go?

Hi Jeff,

When you run the compile action from RSE, does the Remote Shell view come
up with prompts containing the path to the parent folder? If not, that
means QShell is not working in WDSC and you might be missing a PTF. You
can
right click on the IFS Files subsystem and run Verify Connection... to
check that the PTFs for Remote System Explorer are installed.

Cheers,

Kushal Munir
Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
IBM Toronto Lab, 8200 Warden Ave., Markham, ON
Phone: (905) 413-3118        Tie-Line: 969-3118
Email: kmunir@xxxxxxxxxx

             jstevens@mizehous
             er.com

             wdsci-l-bounces@m         Websphere Development Studio Client

             idrange.com               for iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             08/16/2006 08:13                                      Subject

             AM                        Re: [WDSCI-L] Compile Java - Where
                                       does .class file go?

             Please respond to
                 Websphere
                Development
             Studio Client for
                  iSeries
             <wdsci-l@midrange
                   .com>

Thanks for the help.

I finally went ahead and setup a project from the Java perspective.  And
yes, there is a Java Build path on the properties of a project.  That is
where the compile goes.  So, I've given up on trying how to edit and
compile a java source from the RSE, I just use the java perspective.

Jeff Stevens
Mize, Houser & Co. P.A.
913 451 1882
JStevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

nickmart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
08/15/2006 04:28 PM
Please respond to
Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [WDSCI-L] Compile Java - Where does .class file go?

Jeff,

Your questions got me thinking as to whether or not I was doing something
not quite correct.  I was doing my Java coding using the iSeries Editing
Perspective. I was working directly out of my IFS directory.

Today, I tried using the Java Perspective. I now see the relationship to a
project like you mentioned. I found that my .class objects were being
created in my workspace in a folder named the same as my project. In my
case, C:\Documents and
Settings\nick\IBM\rationalsdp6.0\workspace\JavaforRPG.

I apologize for the confusion.

Nick

Thanks Nick.

So you don't have a "project" setup?  You just navigate to the IFS and
the folder, and right click and select compile(javac)?

I've refreshed the RSE and doubled checked the IFS folder - a class file
is definitly NOT being built.

Jeff Stevens
Mize, Houser & Co. P.A.
913 451 1882
JStevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

nickmart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
08/14/2006 11:42 AM
Please respond to
Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [WDSCI-L] Compile Java - Where does .class file go?

Jeff,

I use the same steps to compile my .java source. In my case, it is
creating the .class in the same IFS directory as the .java. The .class
item does not show until I do a refresh on the directory by right
clicking on the directory and selecting "refresh".

Nick

I have a .java source on the IFS. I'm using RSE and right click on the
.java file, and select compile.  The command it executes is  javac
-deprecation -classpath . ${resource_name}

I don't see that I get any errors, but I can't find my class file. This
is not in a project - just a single .java source.

Any suggestions as to where the class goes - or how do I control where
it
goes?

Thanks!

Jeff Stevens