Thanks for the insight Tom.  Always happy to learn a bit more about
OS/400.

wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 18/07/2006 03:41:42 PM:

wdsci-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

  3. Re: Object authority issue (AGlauser)

So ... is this an "undocumented feature" in PDM or RSE?  I would have
expected a lack of *EXECUTE authority on a library to suppress listing
of
the objects in that library, but not *EXECUTE on a file.  I guess
that's
my Unix permissions background speaking.

Adam:

For files (/QSYS.LIB), keep in mind that they can be viewed as
directories, e.g., as an 'IFS' object. The members in the files can
be viewed as the actual "files" from that perspective.

And actually, authorities have more or less always been applied to
the members even if we commonly don't notice it happening. Create a
source file with the maximum number of members and then change the
file's authority. Note how much longer it can take than doing the
same for a single-member file. That's because authorities are being
set 'behind the scene' on each individual member. (At least, it used
to be this way. It might've changed recently, but I've seen no
indication.)

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.
As low as $9.95 a month -- Sign up today at
http://isp.netscape.com/register

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

This is the Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries  (WDSCI-

Attention:
The above message and/or attachment(s) is private and confidential and is
intended
only for the people for which it is addressed. If you are not named in the
address
fields, ignore the contents and delete all the material. Thank you. Have a nice
day.

For more information on email virus scanning, security and content
management, please contact administrator@xxxxxxxxxxxx