What you're after is called 'capturing groups'.  The text editor in
Eclipse does it.  I've requested it as an enhancement to LPEX, so I think
it's "on the list".

The problem with the text editor is that it sees the date area and
sequence numbers as part of the text so anything using beginning of the
line (^) logic is much trickier.  For what you're after it might work. Add
the member to an iSeries Project.  Right click the member, then open with
text editor.

Find: reffld(\([A-Z]*\))$
Replace: REFFLD$1 ALWNULL

The ( ) around the regular expression \([A-Z]*\) marks it as a capturing
group.  $1 in the replace is set to whatever the first capturing group
finds.  You can nest capturing groups and reference them within the find
as well.  Hit F1 in the find dialog to get info about the regular
expressions.

Hope this helps,
Adam

"Tyler, Matt" <mattt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wdsci-l-bounces+aglauser=erbgroup.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
26/05/2006 12:23 PM
Please respond to
Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

<wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[WDSCI-L] replacing text found using reglar expression

To all,

            I use regular expressions to find text a lot.  Now I need to
replace text (or in the current case append new text). My example is

Before:

     A            CDPHMCP   R               REFFLD(POSFLAG)  <-- there a
a lot more of these lines

After:

     A            CDPHMCP   R               REFFLD(POSFLAG) ALWNULL

I use Find, using regular expressions like: reffld\([A-Z]*\)$  The
reference name will not always be the same and in many cases is not, so
the replacement text cannot be static.

Does anyone know of a way in WDSC find/replace tool to replace using a
regular expression pattern?  Something like...

FIND:   REFFLD\([A-Z]*\)$

REPLACE:     REFFLD\([A-Z]*\)$ ALWNULL

(Case sensitive = off)

Thanks, Matt