A maybe - the JVM on the iSeries has not started up, so it has to go through its initial authentication. This always takes a long time. Whereas, in Eclipse, your JVM is already running. Consider how long it takes to start up Eclipse.

So can you try doing the extract twice in one program (or job on the iSeries)? The second should be faster if my theory is anywhere close.

HTH
Vern