From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of David Dykstal
Sent: 06 February 2006 23:15
To: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Using Eclpise and Subclipse

ISeries Project's "push changes" for a project will push all members that
have had their timestamps updated since the last push. It doesn't matter if
they came from the repository or from an edit.

"Push changes" is intended to make the associated library up to date with
your project in WDSC in preparation for a build or a compile. Why push ALL
the changes? Well, you may have changed copy members or file definitions
and those need to be pushed to provide the correct context for a compile or
build. WDSC doesn't have any dependency analysis built into it yet. And,
unfortunately, we haven't put the knobs in place yet to let you turn off
the automatic push for compiles.

The original thought behind the associated library was that this was to be
a scratch library (backed by a team library in the library list) that only
one or two people worked at a time. It seems however, that folks tend to
want to use this as a team library. In that case, the idea that all team
members have to push every change received from the repository is strange
since that results in a lot of unnecessary pushes. Clearly, in this case,
some kind of two-way synchronization that depends on something besides a
timestamp is needed.

These are all great points and I'll enter them into our feedback database.
David Dykstal
david_dykstal@xxxxxxxxxx