Mari,

I would suggest that you make this into a formal project with your
management and do an evaluation of a number of commercial products.  I
did one a number of years ago and selected TurnOver from Softlanding but
MKS is also an excellent product so you probably would not go wrong with
either one.  The reason I am saying that it should be formalized is that
with SOX requirements driving a lot of companies to install auditing and
change management software if you are ever questioned about your process
of selecting the installed package you will have documentation to show
them (I have had to do this on two occasions so far).  It would also
help better define what goals the company is trying to achieve through
change management, i.e. are you only going to control iSeries objects,
do you want to control Network objects, do you want to control Oracle
objects, etc.

I don't want to scare you off the topic because having change management
in place has saved us many times in the past, i.e. proving we had a
"controlled environment", tracking back when and where a certain change
was requested and completed, etc.  It has also helped us when a user had
requested something and after it was installed decided that is not what
they wanted.

Douglas Belcher
KV Pharmaceutical
St Louis, MO
Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer