We are making some major changes in our free plugins for WDSC 6.0.  We do
not have our web site or our official announcement ready yet, but since I
know that some of you already have WDSC 6.0, I thought I should provide
some information on this list.

The three free plugins, Spooled Files, Messages and iSeries Editing
Perspective, have been repackaged as a single plugin that I have
creatively named the RSE Extensions.  We are also now releasing these
under an open source license agreement, the IBM CPL v1.0 which is the
license agreement that Eclipse was originally licensed under.  There are a
lot of reasons for doing this and it should bring a lot of benefits to
WDSC users.

1.  Once they get their internal approvals, IBM developers can participate
in the project and contribute enhancements to the existing plugins, as
well as assist in keeping them up to date with changes in the internals of
WDSC.

2.  If enough of you ask IBM for it, it should be possible for them to
include these extensions in a future version of WDSC.

3.  We would like these extensions to become a delivery vehicle for
additional user enhancements to WDSC.  For example, the Java code to write
really cool extensions for the LPEX editor is actually fairly easy to
write.  However, the process to take this code and understand all of the
packaging requirements to deliver it as an Eclipse plugin can be
overwhelming.  We are hoping that developers in the WDSC community will
use this plugin as a base for adding features like this that they would
like to see.  They can then piggyback for free on our existing packaging
and delivery mechanisms.

4.  The project is being hosted on our iSeries in a Subversion repository.
 Subversion is another major open source product that we have contributed
to the iSeries community.  See:
http://www.softlanding.com/subversion/index.htm  We are using the project
for the RSE Extensions to showcase how incredibly cool and powerful
Subversion is.  When I find the time I will be writing up a document that
details how to install the Subversion plugin for WDSC 6 and then checkout
the RSE Extensions plugin.

You can access the Subversion repository that is hosting this project at:
http://support.softlanding.com/opensource/.  I will be providing the
installation program and Eclipse update site directly from the Subversion
repository.  One of the cool side benefits of Subversion is that since you
can host the repository via http:// you can also serve files directly from
the repository.

To make installation easier, I am providing a Windows installer program to
install the extensions.  Updates can be downloaded using the WDSC
automatic updates feature, or you can just download and run the installer
again.

The installer is available at this URL in the repository.

http://support.softlanding.com/opensource/rse_extensions.exe

Remember, this only applies to WDSC 6.0.  If you are on an earlier version
you should upgrade, but until then the existing plugins are still
available from www.softlanding.com

Thanks and enjoy!

Mark

Scanned for SoftLanding Systems, Inc. by IBM Email Security Management Services