Hi all,

I would like to get your opinion on a small thing about WebSettings for
v6.

Those that have been around for a while may have noticed some "anomalies"
in WebSettings from version to version.
In 5.1.2.2 there was a couple of changes that were maybe not the most
ideal choice.  Such as a field value being quoted where in previous
releases it was not quoted or the value being turned into a JavaScript
.value call rather than the direct inline text.  Some of this came about
with the concept of initialvalue and currentvalue that was introduced in
5.1.2.2.  Initialvalue being the value taken from the record data bean
when the record is written to the screen and currentvalue (input capable
fields only) is a JavaScript call to get the current value in the control.
 The  plain old value operator ( &{RECORD.FIELD.value} ) would map to
initialvalue or currentvalue depending upon the input capability of the
field.  This spiffy "feature" caused some undesirable side effects as you
might imagine.

Right now the intention is that for imported projects into V6 the
WebSettings will continue to work like they did in the earlier release
(5.1.2.2 projects will convert like 5.1.2.2 and earlier projects will
convert like 5.1.2.0). So whether or not old project will continue to work
is not a question, they will.

My query is about what should the default be for V6 and later projects?
That is, should value map to initialvalue (before 5.1.2.2) or currentvalue
(5.1.2.2) for input fields.  And should the initialvalue substitution
string be just plain unquoted (before 5.1.2.2) or enclosed in single
quotes (5.1.2.2).

Just to be really clear here, I am NOT (yet anyway :-) soliciting ideas
for new WebSettings, I'm just trying to get a feeling about what you think
is the best course of action.

+++ Please get back to me ASAP if you want your answer to count. +++

Kind regards,

Mike

Mike Hockings, P.Eng.
WebSphere Development Tools for AS/400  -  CODE/Designer & WebFacing !
IBM Canada Ltd. Laboratory
hockings@xxxxxxxxxx