Michael, it doesn't matter if it's good or not: it's been working as
advertised for over 20 years.

If it was "bad", the Compiler People could have added compiler logic
to disallow it (a snide remark about Programming Police has been
deleted).  In the past, indicators were scare commodities and often
served multiple uses (especially in array lookup, but for some
mysterious reason, the WDSC utility doesn't convert LOOKUP, so it
doesn't matter).

The question is if the code generated by the WDSC utility will work
the same as the fixed-format code.  The answer is it doesn't, and IBM
does not provide advice, disclaimers, or warnings that the converted
code might not work the same as the original code.  There's an implied
warranty when you provide a tool like this and there is the potential
of a very serious product liability issue.  Would you want your
iSeries banking software vendor to use this utility?  Why would I use
it knowing I'll have to review every line of code for errors?

I work to improve it my coding style on a daily basis; I'll bet all of
us wince when we look at code from 20 years ago.  But style is a
subset of standards, and SLFEND is controlled by *IN35 in all 400 of
my subfile programs.

-reeve