From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Mike Hockings
Sent: 13 January 2005 19:32
To: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
Subject: RE: [WDSCI-L] Problem with conditioned fields

According to DDS Reference, '£' is not valid for a field name.
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/QB3AUI03/1.2.2?SHELF=&DT
=19990811160340&CASE=
The DDS syntax rules for record and field names are:

Names must be 10 characters or less.

Names must begin with an alphabetic character (A through Z, @, $, and #). All
subsequent characters can be alphanumeric (A through Z, 0 through 9, @, $, #,
and _ (underscore)). There can be no embedded blanks.

I also tried to create a display file containing the code including '£' in
customer's email below.  In the 5250 edit mode, an error is shown to
indicate that '£' is not valid in the field name (Character after first
character of name not valid).

If the display file is saved anyway, compiling it will throw the same
CPD7425 error again.

So I think in the your maybe you were using a different language (CCSID)
so that '£' was mapped to a valid character for field name, eg, @, $, or #
?   To convert the display file properly you may need to change the
iSeries user locale and current locale on PC to use the right language.

Now, I seem to recall somewhere that the codepoint used for '$' in NA is
used for '£' in the UK ?  So following the above it could be that the
iSeries is set to a UK-English locale and the PC set to a US-English
locale or some such.

Mike

Mike Hockings, P.Eng.
WebSphere Development Tools for AS/400  -  CODE/Designer & WebFacing !
IBM Canada Ltd. Laboratory
hockings@xxxxxxxxxx

"Steve Lakin (Ramesys - Nottingham)" <Steve.Lakin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
01/13/2005 12:22 PM
Please respond to
Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries

"'Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries'" <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: [WDSCI-L] Problem with conditioned fields

I have managed to establish that this is a problem with the £ in the
fieldname. I changed the field to WXTOVL and reconverted and it worked
fine.
Does anyone know if this is a known issue and whether theres a fix for it? I
really hope there is as this could potentially put our project on hold as we
use £'s for all value fieldnames.

Regards,

Steve Lakin
ERP Analyst Programmer