Mike,

I think it really depends on your environment. if you have a good
configuration management tool then you could probably get away with
everything in one EAR.

But for ease of managing your applications you would probably want to group
discreet applications into different EARs.

What we tend to do is drop minor changes straight into the deployed live
environment, and let the application automatically reload (this only works
if you have reloading on in live).

If we are making a major change, then we will redeploy the whole
applications EAR. You can redeploy everything in one EAR without affecting
any others. So to update, we stop that application, update the EAR, and
restart the application. When you stop the application, every application
under that EAR is stopped.

So if you group related applications into one EAR, or have one application
for one EAR, yes you may have some duplication, but deployment is going to
be less of an issue. Removing that duplication is likely to bring its own
problems.

cheers
Colin.W