Any chance that some firewall software was recently installed on your PC?
WDSc connects to the same host servers as client access so it seems you can
get a socket connection, but I was wondering if there was some firewall
software that was filtering based on the source application?

You could try to start WDSc with a new workspace (keep your existing one)
and see if that makes a difference.  To do this just add the following
parameter to the WDSc shortcut:

-setworkspace

Don Yantzi
WebSphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone: (905) 413-4476
IBM internal:  IBMCA(yantzi)  -  Internet: yantzi@xxxxxxxxxx

             "Samuel J Lennon"
             <lennon_s_j@hotma
             il.com>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             wdsci-l-bounces@m                                          cc
             idrange.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       [WDSCI-L] Cannot Connect to Server
             10/05/2004 12:23
             PM

             Please respond to
                 Websphere
                Development
             Studio Client for
                  iSeries

   This morning I could no longer connect to the server in RSE.  I get this
   message:

     An unknown error occurred connecting to SERVERNAME.  Check if you have
     connection to the host. If the connection is not broken, check that
     TCP/IP is configured correctly on the local machine and all host
servers
     are started on BRONZE.

   In other places it tells me that the attempt to connect timed out.

   Client Access is running fine, so TCP/IP should be OK.  Classic Code
works
   fine when I can open members from PDM.  We stopped and restarted all
host
   server jobs.  I deleted the .CONFIG file.  I deleted the connection.
   Still not working.

   Any ideas?

   I'm on 5.1.2.  (No fix packs applied--still can't get through our
firewall
   with update manager.)

   .LOG file contains this:

   !SESSION Oct 05, 2004 12:08:54.780
   java.fullversion=J2RE 1.3.1 IBM J9 build 20031201 (JIT enabled)
   BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_US
   Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86
Files\IBM\WebSphere
   Studio\Site Developer\v5.1\.\eclipse\eclipse.exe -data C:\Documents and
   Settings\lennons.CIRCUITCITY\My Documents\IBM\wdsc\workspace -feature
   com.ibm.wdsclient -install file:C:/Program Files/IBM/WebSphere
Studio/Site
   Developer/v5.1/eclipse/
   !ENTRY com.ibm.etools.systems.core 4 0 Oct 05, 2004 12:08:54.780
   !MESSAGE IOException occured during signon
   !STACK 0
   java.net.ConnectException: Operation timed out: connect
    at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Throwable.java)
    at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Throwable.java)
    at java.net.ConnectException.<init>(ConnectException.java:44)
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:345)
    at
   java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToSocksServer(PlainSocketImpl.java:330)
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doSOCKSConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:249)
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:155)
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:144)
    at com.ibm.as400.access.PortMapper.getServerSocket(PortMapper.java:172)
    at

com.ibm.as400.access.AS400ImplRemote.signonConnect(AS400ImplRemote.java:1894)

    at
com.ibm.as400.access.AS400ImplRemote.signon(AS400ImplRemote.java:1794)
    at com.ibm.as400.access.AS400.sendSignonRequest(AS400.java:2603)
    at com.ibm.as400.access.AS400.signon(AS400.java:3343)
    at com.ibm.as400.access.AS400.connectService(AS400.java:805)
    at com.ibm.etools.iseries.core.ISeriesSystemDataStore.isValid(Unknown
   Source)
    at

com.ibm.etools.systems.core.ui.dialogs.SystemPasswordPromptDialog.processOK(SystemPasswordPromptDialog.java:484)

    at

com.ibm.etools.systems.core.ui.dialogs.SystemPromptDialog.buttonPressed(SystemPromptDialog.java:815)

    at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.Dialog$1.widgetSelected(Dialog.java:423)
    at
   org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:89)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:840)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java)
    at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.runEventLoop(Window.java:583)
    at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:563)
    at

com.ibm.etools.systems.subsystems.impl.AbstractSystem.promptForPassword(AbstractSystem.java:335)

    at

com.ibm.etools.systems.subsystems.impl.SubSystemImpl.connect(SubSystemImpl.java:2828)

    at

com.ibm.etools.systems.subsystems.impl.SubSystemImpl.connect(SubSystemImpl.java:2771)

    at

com.ibm.etools.systems.core.ui.actions.SystemConnectAction.run(SystemConnectAction.java:61)

    at org.eclipse.jface.action.Action.runWithEvent(Action.java:842)
    at

org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:456)

    at

org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:403)

    at

org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$0(ActionContributionItem.java:397)

    at

org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$ActionListener.handleEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:72)

    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:840)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Dis play.java:1729)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:1402)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.run(Workbench.java:1385)
    at

org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.InternalBootLoader.run(InternalBootLoader.java:858)

    at org.eclipse.core.boot.BootLoader.run(BootLoader.java:461)
    at
java.lang.reflect.AccessibleObject.invokeL(AccessibleObject.java:207)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:291)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:747)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:583)
   !ENTRY com.ibm.etools.systems.core 4 0 Oct 05, 2004 12:08:54.890
   !MESSAGE EVFC9112E: SUB#0:BRONZE