Don't really want to stir up a hornet's nest here, but...

I understand that you'll always hear more about the negative things going on
with a product than positive things, but I can't help but get past this
image that WDSCi is far from being ready for prime time based on the
problems described in this list.

Some of the problems reported here that stick in my brain are lost source
members after hours of modification (sends shivers down my spine; I think
they'd have to call paramedics if that happened to me), frequent WDSCi
crashes (requiring reboots), performance being as slow as molasses on a cold
Minnesota day in February (despite some users reporting some really souped
up PCs).  These issues do nothing to build confidence in a product.

I know the IBM team participates on this list, and for that I am extremely
grateful.  I would be interested in knowing if there's been any talk of a
redesign from scratch effort or something else drastic to address these
glaring problems.  Kinda like how PC Support was replaced by a completely
rewritten Client Access years ago.  It is also my understanding that WDSCi
was originally developed in Rochester and now that has been transferred to
Toronto (do I understand that correctly?), and maybe we are experiencing the
reasons for that move.

I installed WDSCi 5.0, which is an older version, but is the latest version
I can find around here.  Our iSeries is on V5R2, so don't know if a newer
WDSCi should have been included in that.  Since I have only a PC with 128MB
of memory and 700MHz Pentium, I thought I might at least try CODE400, but
I'm not happy with some of the behaviors (i.e., member line numbers
resequenced at .01 increments, source statement change dates set to zero).

I haven't been able to get the "Complete the installation of CODE and
VisualAge RPG" shortcut to go away, even though I've run it twice now, so I
am unsure as to whether I can use either with confidence.

Clicking on the "Development Studio Client for iSeries" shortcut
("C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere Studio\wdsc.exe" -feature
com.ibm.wdsclient) brings up an Eclipse dialog box that starts with:
  JVM terminated. Exit code=1
followed by 12 lines of ... parameters or somesuch.  Of course, there's no
way to copy/paste this information.  Perhaps someone with Java experience
would understand what is being communicated here, but that's not me, nor
anyone else in my company.

db