> From: Mark Phippard
>
> Sorry, I assumed it was fairly obvious that I am saying that Eclipse
does
> not currently provide a mechanism for doing this.  Not that some
> programmer could not add such a feature to Eclipse.

Man, we're diving into Clinton-esque definitions here.

Can you think of some feature that a programmer could NOT add to
Eclipse?  I mean, seriously, that's not what I'm talking about.  When
you said "cannot" you meant that it can't be done without a programming
change.  When I asked someone else "cannot" meant they didn't know
whether it could or couldn't be done, and nobody they asked knew either.

"Cannot do it" COULD mean, "no menu option to do it, but there's a
manual method", or "no supported manual method to do it, but you can
tweak the following file at your own risk", or "requires a programming
modification to do it".

If we simply say "cannot" and don't specify the context, then the people
asking the question don't have enough information to think outside of
the box.

For example, based on your thorough yet concise explanation, I could
probably create a plugin with a new perspective and my own icon, add it
to the workbench, and then customize THAT perspective to my
specifications.  This would in effect create a new perspective with my
very own icon, woudln't it?

Joe