Hi David,

The intent of the WDSC iSereis Java debugger is exactly to allow users have
a similar experience
when debugging Java program locally and on the iSeries host. The user
interface is pretty much
identical. In addition, users are not required to export their source files
onto the iSeries host - just
their .class files (either stand-alone or a JAR).

Here are the steps that hopefully will be helpful:
1) Develop your Java program using Java Tools provided by the WDSC.
2) Use 'Export...' feature of WDSC (popup menu on your Java project) to
export either .CLASS files or .JAR file onto the IFS. You do not need to
export the source onto the iSeries. However, you will need to map an IFS
drive for this option to work.
      - use Export -> File System option to export .CLASS files
      - use Export -> JAR option to export all the classes in a JAR
3) At this point you can use Run 'iSeries Java app' launch configuration to
execute your Java application on the iSeries and/or
4) You can use Debug 'iSeries Java app' launch configuration (David calls
it 'debug profile' in his note below) to debug Java application on iSeries.

Since both dialogs are very similar, I will explain the Debug one:
1) On the 'Main' page specify:
- the name of your Java project in WDSC - that is where debugger will look
for source (you can provide more elaborate Source Path in the 'Source' tab,
if needed)
- package qualified name of your main class file
- 'root' IFS location of your Java classes. Use 'Browse' button here. By
default this will become a part of your CLASSPATH. That's all  if you have
exported .CALSS files.
- if you exported .JAR file, you will need to add your .JAR files to the
CLASSPATH. In the 'Environment' tab, put CLASSPATH into the 'Variable'
field, and full path of the JARs in the 'Value' field. Press 'Append to
List' button. That is all. Note that CLASSPATH will be saved from now on.
To update it, just select it in the list.
- At this point, hit Debug button and debugger should come up just like in
the local debug case.

Tip: by default debugger stops at the first line of your Java application.
If you would like to run till you hit a first breakpoint, set breakpoints
in your source and in the 'Debug' tab deselect the 'Stop in main' checkbox.

Last note: RUNJAVA command definitely works for debugging Java on iSeries
as well. It does require source to be on the iSeries host (while WDSC
debugger does not).

Hope this helps,
Vadim Berestetsky
iSeries Run-Time Analysis Tooling
Internet:  berestet@xxxxxxxxxx

             David Gibbs
             <david@xxxxxxxxxx
             Sent by:                  wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             wdsci-l-bounces@m                                          cc
             idrange.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       [WDSCI-L] Debugging java on
             06/02/2004 09:40          iSeries?
             AM

             Please respond to
                 Websphere
                Development
             Studio Client for
                  iSeries

Ok, maybe I'm just missing it ... but how the heck are you supposed to
debug a java program on the iSeries?

I have a java program that I've written and debugged on my workstation
... and now I want to move it to the iseries and debug it there.

I copied all the necessary files to a directory on the IFS and created a
debug profile in the "Java Application in iSeries" group.

I see where I can define the main class and the working folder on the
iSeries ... but how do I define the location of the JAR's on the iSeries?

Thanks!

david