It CAN be done, and well - but using CODE/400, not the RSE version. IOW, start it up with CODEEDIT or use the DE (or whatever) user option out of PDM. CODEDSU starts the Designere. And CODEPROJ gives you a project manage that is similar to RSE functionally (limited, I know, but easy on the resources).

That's what the first item means, IMO - avoid Java at all costs if doing only server (RPG/COBOL/CL/DSPF/PRTF) development. You CAN get there from the RSE perspective, but it'll cost you mightily.

So, as long as you are not doing the newer stuff, this'll do fine. Of course, there's no substitute for more memory and faster drive rotation. The chip speed is less important.

The recommendations are VERY minimum. Ask your boss if he would use the published minimum recommendations Microsoft gives for running XP - then he might see your need in the right perspective. Would he even consider using the following:

Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP Professional

PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

64MB!!! Indeed!!

HTH
Vern