First, I'd like to thank Phil Coulthard and Harold Briscoe in Toronto for
volunteering to go the extra mile.  I appreciate it!

The Pony Express showed up (after about two weeks) with the CD's.  I grabbed
the DVD and went to work on my ThinkPad XP with current SP's.

Almost immediately Windows gave me their solicitous little window: "Gee, we
screwed up.  Would you like to report this problem so we can ignore it?"
Apparently the Windows version of Java didn't like whatever Eclipse was
doing.  That's the great thing about having PC programming standards: there
are *so many* to choose from.  Like Unix.

Later on I was hit with the "Unable to initialize Java" error.  So I removed
WDSC 5.0, all associated applications, and all suspicious-looking folders,
including a couple in C:\Program files\IBM.  I cleaned out my TEMP folder
(C:\Documents and Settings\Reeve\Local Settings\Temp), rebooted when
requested, used Norton 2003 to nuke orphaned registry keys, and disabled
Norton AntiVirus.  *If you're having a problem getting any big-time PC
software installed, these four steps are critical; do them before you start
and save yourself a lot of aggravation.*

I asked Harry Potter for a spell, fired off the install, and looked up an
hour or so later to see a normal completion.  I installed the iSeries
extensions; that process completed normally also.  I pressed the starter,
the application came up, told me I had to migrate my old iSeries projects,
and did it uneventfully.  I'm on the right side of the Rockies and won't be
back on the wrong side for another week; we'll see how this works on my
problem child W2K box.

I like crow-flavored brownies.  They're in the oven!

-reeve