Jim,

I do not think it can work exactly the way you describe.  Let me just give
you these tidbits and see if it helps.

1)  You can double-click in the title bar of an editor (or any view) to
toggle it between taking up the whole window, or its default state.  When
an editor or view is full screen, you cannot see any other views.  If you
take an action that requires a view to show, then it toggles the size back
to the default.

2)  In the Window menu there is an option(s) that is worded something like
Hide Editors/Show Editors.  This shows/hides the area that was carved out
for the editors.  If it is hidden and you open an editor, the area will
show.  When you close the editor, it will NOT hide again.  (I think)

3.)  You can pretty much arrange the view however you want including just
stacking them on top of each other.  So if you want all your views to run
down one of the sides and the editor on the rest of the space you can do
that.

4)  You can create your own perspectives.  Just open the views and position
them the way you want and choose Save Perspective.  Give it your own name
so that you can reset the original perspective if needed.

5)  Finally there is something called Fast Views which I like to avoid at
all costs.  Basically, if you click on the icon for a view you can make it
into a Fast View.  This turns the view into an icon on the Perspective bar.
When you click on the icon the view opens over the content in the window,
and can then be closed again.  It works best for tree-like views that work
OK when they are narrow.  If you change your mind about the Fast View, just
right-click on its icon in the Perspective bar and choose Close View.  When
you re-open it, it will be a normal view again.

Hope this helps.

Mark