Thanks, Mazen, this was extremely helpful.

Here are my questions, now.

1. There seems to be a conflict conceptually between 2 things: "You grab from anywhere, but your push and test to one place". and "you have to create one iSeries project per library. This way when you perform a push, you will be pushing your changes back to the original library the member come from"

It doesn't seem both can be true in a single project. In other words, can I bring members from multiple libraries into a single project? The first statement suggests this, unless "from anywhere" is limited to source files in the associated library. Ah, I see, I can import things from anywhere under a connection. Perhaps even from different iSeries'? Yikes!

2. It seems that, if I use a sandbox library, i have to have created it and copied members into it before making them into a project. I do see the option (right-click) to create a new source file. But without a CMS this is very tedious.

3. You already show the connections in a Remote Systems view in the iSeries Projects perspective. I'd love to see the ability to drag-drop source into a project, from any filter in a connection. (I'm looking at v4.)

4. This has probably been said, but to clarify - all the code for a project is downloaded to some directory on the PC, and editing is all local?

5. A different matter - when I right-click a member to get options, LPEX and CODE are not there, as they are in RSE. There's an "Open" option, as well as an "Open with..." option that has only "Default text editor" and "System editor". For a .h file the behavior was a bit odd - "Open" broiught up the LPEX editor view. Then all the others did nothing. When I closed the view and took "System editor" I got CODE. When I closed that and took "Open" again I got CODE, not the internal LPEX. I think it has to do with the idea that taking one of the "Open with..." options sets a flag? A check appeared by the one I chose.

I have looked at the "File editor" area of the Workspace properties (under :Window") and see that things I add there do show up in Projects.

I think I'd prefer that, if nothing is checked in "Open with...", that the editor that has an association in Windows is the one taken, instead of defaulting to the internal LPEX editor. JMHO Of course, that's Windows-specific assumption - would it be different in Linux, say?

6. When I take the opt to "Show remote objects", everything in the associated library appears. But only source members can be added to the project. It'd be nice not to see all the other stuff, since I can't do anything with it, anyway.

7. There seems to be very little help on iSeries projects. It's not a subheading in any of the help divisions, as far as I can see (v4, again)

Again, thanks for the good information. I'll be passing it on to the other developers here.

An observation on "dictating" methodologies - anytime we make a design decision we "dictate" something about a process. I don't think it's usually a control thing, it'd just how it is.

I appreciate your comment about the learning curve. Unfortunately, from comments on this list, it seems that WDSC is pretty hard to learn in a number of areas - customization (compared to the macro ability of CODE, e.g.) comes to mind. Admittedly, it is a monster - I'm gradually digging into the help more.

Vern