> From: Mark Phippard
>
> CVSNT is only supported by Eclipse on a "best-effort" basis, but a lot of
> people seem to be using it, and I believe somewhere on the Eclipse site
> they list a version that works better than others.  If you want to do it
> on Linux, this is one of those cases where you could probably
> legitimately do it on an old 486 running in character mode.

Well, my main reason for CVS (besides being free) is that it seems to be the
de facto standard in the open source community.  And if the idea is to move
the iSeries into that world, then understanding CVS can't hurt.

At the same time, it's important to realize that CVS is a source control
utility, not a change management system, and there's a world of difference
between them.

> If you have Microsoft SourceSafe because you own a Visual Studio license,
> then I believe there is an open source plugin that connects it to
> Eclipse.

Interesting, but not an option.  I'm not that far lost to the dark side yet
<grin>.

> Then there is also Merant PVCS VM which we resell which is
> something like $595/seat and connects with Eclipse.

I used PVCS in a previous life and it was actually a very good product.  The
cost isn't bad, but I wonder how wide the audience is?

> Finally, if you have access to WSAD through PartnerWorld, doesn't
> it still come with ClearCase LT?  This can use a Windows server for
> its server.

Is it any good, though?  And is this IBM's stated direction?  It's kind of
like the fact that Cloudscape is IBM's database, but does anyone really use
it?

> You should enter your ideas for enhancing the EAR packager in FRED.
>
>   https://www.ibm.com/software/wsdd/products/fred/fred.html
>
> I think they would have to have some specific option to say you wanted to
> do this.  Because, for example, I have external jar files I supply for
> things like WebSphere-specific code, JavaMail or even Xerces, that I do
> not need to distribute with my application because the runtime
> application server supplies those jar files.

Agreed.  But it should still be there.  There should also be the ability to
specify that a JAR is on my host already and I merely need to include it in
my classpath.  These are the kinds of options needed for production-level
deployment.

And as to FRED, I'll try again.  Last time it ate my request.  I entered it
several times and it never took it.

Joe