> From: Jon Paris
>
> I'm with you Mark, I think it is an absolute bargain.  But Joe won't be
> happy 'til they give him all the tools for free, throw in a new model
> iSeries, and maybe buy his product from him <grin>

Jon, I'm going to really try to play nice here, but I am REALLY sick of
people (this list in particular) sticking words in my mouth.  Your comments
border on unprofessional, <grin> or no <grin>, because they imply things I
never said.  In fact, the crack about my product actually crossed the line,
in my opinion.

I have no problem with paying current WDS prices for the tools expected to
develop software on the iSeries.  I don't want to pay more.  And if IBM is
shoving us towards JSP/servlet technology with the new pricing, it seems
they're doing us a disservice by then turning around and charging more for
the tool.

On the other hand, if Phil's statement about the various test environments
beinbg available in the standard edition are true, then most of my
objections are cleared up.  I could care less about EJBs, and obviously I'm
thrilled if advanced features of Webfacing cost extra - that would finally
level the playing field.

> While I do believe that developers should get _cheaper_ software, that's
> PartnerWorld's job - to get those schemes in place.  Expecting the Labs to
> offer everything for nothing is just wishful thinking.

Again, I never said I expect tools for free: "if you must charge them
[developers] to recoup your costs, certainly don't charge them extra for
being productive".  If you can't quote me correctly, please don't quote me.

That being said, free tools would be the smartest move IBM could make.  If
IBM were to give all their development tools away for free, and then charge
for training, mentoring and assistance to pay development costs.  But that's
not the real revenue stream.  Instead, IBM could add extensions that made
their proprietary technology (i.e., the iSeries) work better than anyone
else's; then they would be truly following the Microsoft model.  The iSeries
and OS/400 would be the target of choice for developers, because the great
free tools would point them that way.

Instead, IBM listens to the "open" mantra, the espousers of which seem to
miss the point that Wintel is really Microsoft's proprietary standard.  As
it does so, IBM continues to dilute its only real differentiator, OS/400,
the one thing NO OTHER COMPANY can possibly match.  Instead IBM is trying to
be just one more commodity player.  This strategy will ultimately fail,
IMHO.

Joe