So I’m cranking away, then CODE locks up, gotta kill it, go through the
ceremony to release the iSeries member, recover the working source from TMP,
reset communications stuff, etc.  Then I find my “TTG” server has changed to
“OS400B” (I set a dummy to cover “OS400A”).  I don’t think this is a
desirable characteristic for production code.

Did I have to pay extra for this?  Oh, that’s right, it’s “free”…it’s just
costing me my productivity.  All it means is I can’t sell applications (and
therefore iSeries hardware) because I’m too busy trying to figure out how to
make it work the same from one day to the next.  It’s my curse that I think
CODE has the potential to dramatically improve productivity, but I won’t
allow my coding staff to use it until it works.

I’ll apologize again for being cranky, but this is intolerable.  All these
high-powered Java applications we’re supposed to be writing with WDSc aren’t
going to do such a good job of cutting A/P checks to IBM.

If there are fixes coming, I wish the Toronto group would tell us and give
us their best guess (this is software, so we all know “best guess” is an
oxymoron).  It unrealistic and foolish for IBM to count on our continued
loyalty when many of us suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous coding.
There are clearly many major problems in WDSc, and it’s time for IBM to
stand down from developing more mysterious applications and to fix what’s
out there.

I’m asking IBM to step up to this issue and not deal with the problems
one-at-a-time.  We’ve been LPAR’ed and Linux’ed to death by IBM;
fortunately, we’ve had nice things happening in the RPG area (warning: they
use REAL slings and arrows in the RPG newsgroups…yes, Bob and Hans, I’m
talking about you two and your intellectual destruction derby!  It’s the
best entertainment/education on the web…).  We need IBM to increase their
greater commitment to, *and investment in*, AD tools.

In June of 2001 I registered a formal complaint regarding the status and
quality of application development tools; from my vantage, I see little
improvement today.  Regardless, I remain a supporter and will help in any
way I can.

Reeve Fritchman
Chairman, Transportation Technology Group, Inc.