I think what we need is a wizard to understand our naming and numbering
strategy :-)

Let me "try" to help, but I can understand that this is all very
confusing... ironically, we
are all this "rebranding" with the intent to make all this easier ... a
single family
name (WebSphere Studio xxx) and numbering scheme (tied to WAS). Please, no
comments from the peanut gallery, just repeat after me: "it is good. it is
good" :-)

Ok, ready? Here goes...

WDSC 4.0 is the client tools package. It remains the state of the art...
ie, it is our
current release of client-based tools for iSeries.

You can get WDSC 4.0 by buying it, or as is normally the case, as an
entitlement
when you by the overall package WDS ... this is the host package that
includes
the compilers, classic ADTS tools and entitlement to unlimited licenses of
WDSC.
This being an iSeries program product released in synch with OS/400, it is
numbered
with OS/400. So, when V5R2 of OS/400 went out on Aug 30th, a new release of
WDS
V5R2 went out. For the host, there are updated versions of all the
compilers.

For the client tools entitlement, we simply changed the entitlement from
WDT V5R1
(wdsc predecessor) to WDSC 4.0 ... so for those of you who got your hands
on
WDSC 4.0 via a regular client-tools upgrade to your WDS V5R1 product, there
is
nothing new here (for client tools). However, since it is an overall new
release of
WDS, it warrants a fresh announcement cycle, and a re-announce of WDSC 4.0,
effectively, in the context of the WDS V5R2 announcement.

Now, lets talk about "WebSphere Studio V5". First, there is no product
named
WebSphere Studio per se anymore. For those unluckly non-iSeries
programmers,
there exists a family of products all named "WebSphere Studio xxx
Developer"
(more or less). Each of these is called a "configuration" of "WebSphere
Studio"
because they are a Russian-doll packaging in that each is a superset of the
other (in function and price):
    - WebSphere Studio Site Developer Advanced
         (which implies there may be a cheaper WSSD minus Advanced someday)
    - WebSphere Studio Application Developer
    - WebSphere Studio Application Developer, Integration Edition
    - WebSphere Studio Enterprise Developer (not there just yet, but
coming)

The first release of all these was numbered 4.0 consistently with the
current release
of WAS, which is imbedded in them, and to which they are aligned for
release dates.
They were all based on Eclipse 1.0 as the core IDE tecnology (as is, no
changes
to it as someone suggested in an append to our forum. It only appears to be
subset when comparing to Eclipse 2.0, which we are not yet based on).

The second release of all these will be numbered 5.0 and will be based on
eclipse 2.0x, and that is what is generating some exciting buzz.

WDSC 4.0 is based on WSSDA 4.0, and hence Eclipse 1.0 ... note Eclipse 2.0
has
been available for a few months now at eclipse.org, and Java programmers
are
very excited about it. Also note, there are dozens of open-source plugin
projects
sprouting up there like vegetables in a garden. These will all be usable by
you...
when we get you an Eclipse 2.0 based version of WDSC (or, you can install
Eclipse 2.0 right beside WDSC if you are anxious. Its free for the
download)

So, what does WSxD 5.0 mean to you? Well, nothing, yet. However, one could
guess that we will have a WDSC 5.0 that is based on the new underlying
WSSDA 5.0, or one of those WSxD 5.0 packages, and hence also on
Eclipse 2.0 ... someday. Of course, such a guess would be pure speculation
on
your part, and of course we would have no comment on such speculation :-)

Phil Coulthard, iSeries Software Architect,  IBM Canada Ltd.
coulthar@ca.ibm.com. 905-413-4076, t/l 969-4076

----- Forwarded by Phil Coulthard/Toronto/IBM on 09/30/2002 10:34 PM -----
|         |           "SamL"           |
|         |           <lennon_s_j@hotma|
|         |           il.com>          |
|         |           wdsci-l-admin@mid|
|         |           range.com        |
|         |           09/30/2002 09:03 |
|         |           wdsci-l          |

  |       To:       <wdsci-l@midrange.com>
                                                  |
  |       cc:
                                                  |
  |       Subject:  Re: [WDSCI-L] WDSCi V5 available ?

Well, on this page http://www-3.ibm.com/software/ad/wds400/news/
the second bullet says:

WebSphere Development Studio for iSeries, Version 5 Release 2 Now
Available!
WebSphere Development Studio for iSeries, Version 5 Release 2
became available on August 30, 2002. The product includes both host
and workstation components. The workstation components are bundled
as WebSphere Development Studio Client for iSeries. See the IBM
WebSphere Development Studio for iSeries, Version 5 Release 2 Fact
Sheet (139KB) for more information.

I'm not exactly sure what this means.  Seems like only yesterday
that Version 4 was released.  Has IBM changed the numbering yet
again?

Sam