Buck,

I develop applications that target multiple systems in various
languages.
Eclipse and therefore WDSc is the first to recognize that a common
platform allows tools vendors to concentrate on what they do best.
Eclipse handles presentation and integration and tools vendors, like
IBM with WDSc, spend their time adding their specific functionality.
Benefits include a consistent look and feel, you can add what you
need and remove what you don't need, and there is enough momentum
that you don't have to worry about your investment in time or money.

I don't see the problem with bundling options in Eclipse unless they
are tied together unnecessarily. In most cases, it is pretty easy to
"unbundle" options in Eclipse. If you don't like a plugin (most
features
are implemented as plugins), just remove it from the plugins directory.

If the plugin is built properly, all options related to that plugin
will
disappear when you restart Eclipse. Alternate plugins are also
supported. For example, I needed to use some new features in
Ant that are not supported in the Ant 1.4 plugin. I just built a
new plug-in based on Ant 1.5 and loaded it into the plugin directory.

I use quite a few plugins for Eclipse that bring in functionality. That

functionality allows me to work more effectively within Eclipse. New
plugins are being built every day. One for example, allows you to
serialize the task list to a database file (this uses JDBC so the
AS/400
is possible). There is a proposal to integrate this with Scarab and
Bugzilla.
At some point it may only be necessary to leave Eclipse to read your
email... actually, there is a proposed email client for Eclipse.

David Morris

>>> Buck.Calabro@commsoft.net 08/30/02 07:59AM >>>
...The big problem is the bundling.  As positioned, it is to be all
things to
all developers.

Green screen people think of WDSc as the follow on to Code.  Java
people
think of it as the follow on to VAJ.  It is at the same time both, and
neither, being a work in progress.  Until it is complete, no faction
(web,
5250, Java only) will be satisfied with a collection of parts being
sold as
an integrated development environment.
  --buck