From: systemidotnet-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:systemidotnet-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Richard Schoen
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 11:20 AM
To: systemidotnet@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [SystemiDotNet] IBM ADO.net data provider version compatability

IBM hasn't frequently changed the version info.

There should really be only two versions to worry about:

Version: 10.0.0.0 for V5R3 and above.
Version: 12.0.0.0 for V6R1 and above.

You could develop a data layer class library for each one where the code
is exactly the same, but the .Net references match appropriately to the
DLL version.

You could also use the OLEDB provider which appears to be consistent
across the board but not as cool as the .Net provider.

On any development where we use Client Access/400 data drivers, we are
enforcing using the V6R1 driver as it works all the way back to V5R3.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
RJS Software Systems Inc.
Where Information Meets Innovation
Document Management, Workflow, Report Delivery, Forms and Business
Intelligence
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
Tel: (952) 736-5800
Fax: (952) 736-5801
Toll Free: (888) RJSSOFT

message: 1
date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 16:47:53 -0500
from: Dave Jorgensen <djorgensen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: [SystemiDotNet] IBM ADO.net data provider version
compatibility

Because my company is a software vendor, IBM's unfortunate habit of
frequently changing versions on their ADO.net data provider is creating
big issues for us. I assume that there are other ISV's out there who
write .Net applications for the IBM i, so I'm hoping someone has worked
out a way to tackle this. I have asked IBM, but still don't have a
response.