From: systemidotnet-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:systemidotnet-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Walden H.
Leverich
Sent: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 4:07 PM
To: .net use with the System i
Subject: Re: [SystemiDotNet] Web Service Session State

You need to persist session state somewhere. You can store it "in proc"
but if IIS resets, or the worker process cycles it's lost. You can store
it "out of proc" in the ASP.Net state server, you're at least protected
from IIS/WP restarts, but if the State Server resets again it's lost. Or
you can store it in a database. What you're referring to isn't event
"true" ASP.Net session state, you've rolled your own. We did a similar
thing and we have no regrets.

The IO for the session lookup is low, just leave it where it is. What's
the DB involved? And how are you accessing it? If you're using SQL to
look it up just combine the expiration check w/the lookup; then your
only check if whether a row is found in the first place, if it does
you're good, if it doesn't it's either a bad session id, or it's
expired, and you don't care which. This will actually reduce IO as you
can probably answer that query from an index and avoid the lookup in the
underlying table.

-Walden