We are just introducing EDI using Harbinger and we have a problem when
dealing with traded and consumer units for major accounts and independent
accounts.
Our multiple customers order in a traded unit of case / outer which is made
up of, say, 10 consumer units  eg. 10 sets of coasters.  Our independent
customers order in single units, eg 1 set of coasters.  The same item code
was used for both the traded and consumer unit and the tele-operators used
to key in the traded unit as 10 single units.
All our EDI customers place orders using the EAN code.  The traded unit has
a different EAN code from the consumer unit.  However, System 21 can only
hold one EAN code per item and does not differentiate between an outer case
or a product.  Harbinger passes  the EAN code (whether it is traded or
consumer unit) through to the System 21 AI files.  It also passes through
the number of consumer units in a traded unit through to the System 21 AI
files.  Unfortunately some of this information is not passed through to the
Order Entry,  Invoice files and  then back to the EDI AI files again.
Therefore the problem manifests when we create EDI invoices for major
accounts.  The consumer unit is shown rather than the traded unit and
therefore the customer is unable to invoice match their original EDI order
with the EDI invoice.
The only suggestions we have come up with, but not yet tried out, are
creating new items as kit lists or Bills of Materials for the traded unit
items.  Creating traded units as BOM as an overhead of creating the initial
BOM and the creation and completion of works orders when in actual fact it
is a pseudo warehouse operation picking boxes of 10 or a number of single
units.

Has anyone on this list have experiences to share in this area.

Alan Medows
IT Administrator

Pimpernel International Ltd
26 - 32 Derwent Street
Blackhill
Consett
County Durham
United Kingdom
DH8 8LY

Phone + 44 (0) 1207 503 751
Fax      + 44 (0) 1207 507 873
DDI      +44 (0) 1207 599 926

E-mail - alan.medows@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Any opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual and not
necessarily of Pimpernel International. This e-mail and any files
transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the
intended recipient then be advised that you have received this e-mail in
error and any further use or disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this e-mail in error then please notify
postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx including a copy of this message.
Pimpernel International has scanned this message, and any attachments, for
viruses using Trend MailScan. You are advised that you open any attachments
at your own risk.