We shut down all of our JBA Background processors and kick everyone out of
QINTER every night, just prior to starting our backup...
Once we're sure there are no jobs running with OS record locks on any of the JBA
files we run the AMDAYEND and the CFDAYEND jobs...
Then we run two record lock clearing programs we wrote ourselves...

The first program clears all *99 locking files plus SAP93 (I don't know why this
file did not follow the naming convention...!)
You should never clear SAP99...!!!
The second program clears the ACTIVE FLAGS found in several Master Files...
The list of files with active flags that we clear every night is:
pmp02, inp35, inp60, jm23 and crp02
You may be able to find others...

Normally the *99 record is written to the *99 file when either a record is
'grabbed' during a maintenance session or a background job is activated (see
INP99 for examples of the later)...  If the Maintenance of that particular
record ends normally or the background job ends normally the *99 record is
supposed to go away too...!!!  You should notice several deleted records in all
of the *99 files if you do a DSPFD over them, for example...:
Current number of records . . . . . . . . :                     1
Number of deleted records . . . . . . . . :                    52
I would suggest that you can change all of the *99 files and SAP93 to - Reuse
Deleted Records (*yes)...

If the Record Maintenance job fails while that record is being maintained, or
the background job does not end normally then you may see *99 records left
hanging in those files...

Here is a list of those *99 files:
File Name   Applications that use it
AIP99       EDI
CHP99       Product Data Management
CNP99       AOE, Configurator
CRP99       Customer Returns
CSP99       Cash Manager, A/R
DRP99       DRP
DYP99       Document Processing
FCP99       Forecasting
FIP99       AFI
FLP099      G/L
INP99       Customer Service and Logistics, EDI, Warehousing
MSP99       Capacity Planning, MPS, MRP, PC, PDM, Warehousing
PLP99       Cash Management, A/P, A/R
PMP99       Adv. Ship, Adv. OE, Purc, Requis, Vendor Sched
RWP99       Financial Manager
SAP93       Forecasting, Sales Analysis                      <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Note Name is different SAP93 not SAP99...!!!
SLP99       Cash Management, A/P, A/R
WHP99       Warehousing
WTP99       World Trade

It should also be noted that the use of these *99 files for record locking is
quite archaic and was originally developed in the S/36 days...  Contemporary
AS/400 OS have sufficient record locking ability to render this scheme obsolete
as it applies to record maintenance...  The only valid reason to continue using
the *99 files in any new code development (like AURORA) would be for keeping
track of background jobs...  And I do believe there are more sophisticated ways
of doing that as well...

The bogus ACTIVE FLAGs scheme used in the Master Files works in a similar way
except that they flag/update the actual master record when they 'grab' it for
maintenance...  If the job ends normally the flag is supposed to be removed...
If it ends abnormally then the flag is left hanging and won't be discovered
until the next time a user attempts to maintain that record...  I'll bet that
most JBA installations have both *99 and ACTIVE FLAG records hanging around out
in their database...

We also wrote an interactive maintenance program over the *99 files and Active
Flags to make it easier to deal with record locks when the users call in the
middle of the day...  We gave up trying to convince our users to not leave
maintenance programs up on their screen when they leave their desks...  We also
have our QINACTIVITY timer set to 120 minutes so if they're gone for 2 hours
they get signed off...  That can make for lots of record locks...

Happy hunting...

Hth...

Doug333@aol.com on 02/14/2003 09:47:29 AM

Please respond to "GEAC/JBA System 21 Users" <jbausers-l@midrange.com>