I have clients using the package.  We are a consulting firm, so, do not
have the need for a package.  Ours is simple enough to use a spreadsheet.

Keep in mind when choosing between GEAC and an off the shelf package, that
in addition to the General Ledger aspects of Fixed Assets (which is all
most people are aware of), there is a whole separate Tax accounting system
which must be followed.  In other words, when the books are finished at
year end using JBA Fixed Assets, then that information is sent to the tax
people (usually in a Final Four Accounting firm) and all those
transactions for fixed assets must be recalculated using the appropriate
tax method of depreciation, carry-forwards, blah, blah, blah.

But if you use a 'CPA approved' F/A package, you can very well reduce some
year end audit and tax preparation fees.  That cost savings is a figure to
put into the mix when deciding.

John Leopard, CPA
Manager, Business Consulting
Information Alternatives, Inc.