I know precisely what you mean...  We ran into this one on some of the reports
we wanted to run in the scheduler...

One of the neat features of running jobs in Machine Manager is that it will
capture and store the selection criteria from the interactive program at the
time you schedule the job and when the job runs it will pass those criteria as
parameters via the LDA to the batch program listed in the batch portion of the
task definition...

One of the unfortunate features is that running jobs in Machine Manager that
require the selection criteria to change with each run, like dates for instance,
can be a challenge...  You either have to reschedule the job every time you want
to change the selection criteria, or figure out a way to make the program
calculate the criteria or extract the criteria from a table you can setup
external to Machine Manager...

There is another solution that I am aware of...  Help Systems
(http://www.helpsystems.com/) has a product called ROBOT which has been
developed with some JBA specific options that allow you to use their "LEARN
MODE" when scheduling Machine Manager Tasks that will handle the scheduling of
variable data in these scheduled jobs and control the changing of the dates
based on some rules that you define...

This capability was available as far back as the early to mid nineties...

While the ROBOT option may be overkill for this one particular problem, it is a
very powerful tool that does many automated functions...  It even does dependant
processing which Machine Manager does not handle gracefully...

So you have 3 choices the way I see it...
1 - Reschedule the jobs every time the selection criteria changes - (Irritating)
2 - Write Modified code to extract the criteria from an external table or
calculate it somehow, perhaps based on the current date, etc...
3 - Buy a tool like ROBOT...  (If you own ROBOT you might already have the tool
you need...)

We chose option 2.  For the jobs we need to run we've written up-front code to
automatically calculate the dates needed to run the programs and we pass them in
the LDA...  So the Task definition for the Machine Manager entry is different
than the Task used on the interactive menu, but it achieves the same desired
results...

Best of luck...

Jo_Coffey@lathamplastics.com on 01/16/2002 01:55:15 PM

Please respond to jbausers-l@midrange.com

  To:          jbausers-l@midrange.com

  cc:          (bcc: Jeff Klipa/Harvard)

  Subject      JBA ML - Dates in Auto Day End Jobs
  :

I have the need to start running daily some reports that were run only once a
month.  Normally each month I go into the Auto Day End jobs in Machine Manager
and step through the task to change the dates such as the overdue date field in
the AR Overdue Report.  Has anyone been able to set up the job/task in Auto Day
End so that the date changes to the current date without having to go into
machine manager every day and change it manually?