Jon,

First of all, Common Functions authority gives the users access to anything on
this menu :
 XA800           Administration Functions

    Administration Menu

     1. Maintain User Profiles
     2. Print User Profiles
     3. Maintain Language Parameters
     4. Apply Authorization Codes
     5. Maintain Licence Assignments
     6. Maintain Company Parameters
     7. Maintain Soft Options
     8. Authorization Violation Log
     9. Tools/Utilities Menu
    10. Exit

While this is a high security area and should be limited to very few people,
specifically only IT support/security staff, it has nothing to do with command
line access...

If you want to restrict your users try changing their JBA profile :
Allow command entry . . . . . . 1
to ZERO... '0'...

This will prevent them from gaining access to the command line...
They can use F14=WRKSBMJOB and F18=WRKSPLF or F6=DSPMSG to get around to the
basic functions they need...

Now, F14=WRKSBMJOB will still give them access to their jobs...!!!  It's not
clear in your post if your users are changing their own jobs or other users
jobs...  I would have to assume their changing their own jobs - probably
changing JOBQs when jobs get hung up for long periods is the most common...
If you want to prevent them from changing those you will need to set their
OS/400 profile to :
Limit capabilities . . . . . . .   *YES

This causes real problems if you're using the GUI Blueberries in Explorer
though...  This discussion came up before and a workaround to this hurdle was
mentioned at that time...  Check the archives too...

Hope that helps...

JonWadey@mst-ltd.co.uk on 09/19/2001 06:38:15 AM

Please respond to jbausers-l@midrange.com

  To:          JBAUSERS-L@midrange.com

  cc:          (bcc: Jeff Klipa/Harvard)

  Subject      JBA ML - User Profile Special Authorities
  :

I know this isn't really JBA related but I was hoping someone could help me out
on this one.

I have a problem with users changing jobs even though they do not have the
required User Class or any special Authorities.

Even within the JBA set up they are not set for common functions or submit job
prompt.

We are on OS400 V4M4R0 and 3.5.2b SP4

Any help would be greatly appreciated as always.

Regards

Jon